Monday 25 June 2012

The Weekend That Went.

Hello and welcome to my new follower Lucy. Thank you for your kind comments. x

You made me think with what you wrote about having a simpler life.

So this weekend I tried to just enjoy the simple pleasures.

So, I got home Sunday lunchtime after spending the weekend with The Chap and decided to spend the afternoon doing paperwork and baking.


275g plain flour 215g caster sugar 3 tbsps golden syrup
3 level tbsps cocoa powder 1½ level tsps bicarbonate of soda
1½ level tsps baking powder 3 large eggs, beaten
225ml sunflower oil 225ml milk

For the icing - 450g plain chocolate (I used tesco value choc) 200g unsalted butter (I used utterly butterly as it was on special offer a few weeks ago)

To finish - 50g white chocolate and plain chocolate, coarsely grated

Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C (Gas Mark 3). Grease two 20cm deep, loose bottomed tins, then line base of each tin. Sift flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into large bowl, add sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and add golden syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well until smooth, then pour into prepared tins. Bake for 35 minutes or until well risen; then leave to cool in tins for a few minutes before turning out. When cold, cut each cake in half horizontally. For the icing – break chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat, add butter and leave to melt into the chocolate. Sandwich all layers of the cake together and pour remaining icing over the top, smoothing evenly over top and sides. Leave to set, then decorate with grated plain and white chocolate.
Not entirely a frugal recipe, but I made it cheaper by only using tesco value chocolate and syrup. All the other ingredients i had in stock.

Sitting down on Sunday evening to watch the football (lets not talk about that!) knowing that all the paperwork in the flat had either been shredded, recycled or filed gave me peace of mind. Plus the cake sitting in the fridge made me feel that I had something to show for my 48 free hours.

Making something, whether it be sewn or baked, gives me a sense of satisfaction unparallelled to anything I could buy.

I took my cake to work and the set it in the common room with a big sign saying help yourself. It was demolished within 2 hours. Now it cannot have been to bad can it?

Frugally yours
Abigail
x



DEATH BY CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 comments:

  1. You are so selfless ... you took the whole CAKE to work without having a taste test slice yourself ... you are an admirable woman.

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all comments. So please tell me what you think. Abigail