At 36, I have noticed that middle age is trying it’s best to creep up on me. One minute I was in black velvet hot pants clubbing until the early hours. I blink and the next thing I know I am happiest whilst perusing soft furnishings on a Saturday afternoon and know everything there is to know about mortgages. How did that happen??
One of the side effects of “growing up” is that the odd
grey colourless hair has started to creep through. Not a lot I hasten to add, just the odd one or two. I last had my hair coloured before Christmas at a discount price of £85. I cannot afford that again for a while.
Recently I have noticed that the
grey colourless hairs have started covert action again taking up strategic positions ready for a full head on attack. I don’t think so Sunshine!
So yesterday evening I got home from work and opened Avon’s Advanced Techniques Medium Brown Hair Dye after of course a 24 hr test patch. Price £6. I have not dyed my own hair for about 3 years. It is not a job I enjoy or am any good at. My aim is to hide the grey and try not to change my own hair colour too drastically.. oh and to try and keep the bathroom undamaged.
So what do we think? It does look a bit patchy in this picture as the sun is shinning only on part of my hair.
£6 is a lot cheaper than £85, plus in Brochure 10 (Fergie, Black Eyed Peas on the front) Page 24 they are selling them for £3.50 each on special offer. (I ordered another for stock today.)
So my hints for dyeing your own hair
1) Take 2 old towels in with you – 1 to stand on and 1 to have for after the rinse off.
2) Take a big crocodile clip in with you to the bathroom so longer hair can be put up to stop dye getting your neck during the development period.
3) Have an extra pair of plastic gloves. You need 1 pair (supplied) for applying the dye and I prefer to have another pair for rinsing my hair after. TOP TIP I ‘borrow’ gloves from the petrol station forecourt.
4) Have cotton wool and an astringent cleaner (toner works very well) for after application to remove dye from forehead ear and nape of neck etc.
5) If safe to do so, do it naked. That way no dye gets on anything that cannot be cleaned.
6) Oh yes and open a window, the stuff reeks!
XP.S. 48 Hrs until Pay Day.